1 Plantation Street
Co Durham DH8 7PP
Reviewed by: Sasha on 20/04/2016
I changed to this vets due to last resource for an appointment. I have two cats who both have Corona Virus. I was told this disease can kill my cats in a matter of days, and to find out if they had this disease they would have to run tests for 6 weeks using their urine at the price of £60 per cat per sample, per week. Myself and my children were worried sick, and it resulted in me calling the breeder of the cats to inform her on this disease. I was than told that 99% of cats carry this disease all their lives and does not affect them (just like the cancer gene), and to examine if they had this gene at all, the vets should have just took a blood test at the price of £30 per cat. Therefore to get as much money as possible out of me, overall it should have only costed me £60, however it costed me £600 because i cancelled the last sample which was due in for the last week of testing.
Another indecent was i had just bought a puppy and her tail was infected, again i though i'd give this vet another chance and because this was the quickest appointment as i was worried about my dogs wellbeing i took it. They tried to examine her tail which they couldn't due to her fur so they just randomly diagnosed her with a infection, supplied us with antibiotics and let us go. Due to scabbing, it is making my dog itch, therefore i wanted to give her some antihistamines to prevent the itching. Just to ensure this was safe i rang the vets to get some advice. They tried to pursued me in having to come back in and pay for another appointment before supplying us with this drug, even though they saw her less than 24 hours before hand, and they would have just looked at her, wasted time and than supplied us.
The service they offer is not value for money and i do not recommend this vets to anyone who wants good service and care giving to their pets. There attitudes are disrespectful and i have never saw the same vet more than once. My overall experience here has made me feel victimised due to being robbed of my money and along as they get the cheque at the end of the appointment they do not care about the animals wellbeing or health.
I am sorry you have been disappointed with the service you have received on these two occasions. The need for repeat coronavirus testing in your cats was discussed after the first positive sample and, as is our practice policy to discuss costs as early as possible, the ongoing costs were detailed at this point. We specifically sought advice from a small animal specialist for this case and, due to the potential risk of a chronic coronavirus shedder developing life threatining feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) at some stage in their lifetime, we advised (in line with the specialist's advice) that four weekly faecal samples were tested to help determine the risk of developing FIP for each cat.
More recently, it was difficult to examine your puppy's tail because of her thick coat but as there was a strong suspicion of infection, antibiotics were prescribed. Piriton is not licensed for use in dogs and therefore its' use must be subject to a risk:benefit analysis. It was not felt that piriton would be helpful in her case as the itching was most likely due to infection, not allergies. Since further investigations have been carried out, I am glad to hear that she is doing well on her new medication and I hope she goes on to make a full, and swift, recovery. In future, if you would like to see the same vet for repeat examinations, this can be requested at reception when making an appointment and we will always endeavour to ensure your request can be fulfilled.
Reviewed by: JACK SIMONS on 25/02/2016
My 14 year old greyhound is like a puppy again. Brilliant & thanks a million. :)
Reviewed by: Mechelle on 25/02/2016
Jacqui and her team are exceptional when it comes to care for your pet. They give honest advice and have some of the most up to date equipment available. They have saved the lives of several of my dogs over the years due to their exceptional out of hours service, allowing my dogs to have emergency surgery quickly and effectively. Many thanks
Reviewed by: Dawn on 25/02/2016
In December Alfie our 8 year old Shih Tzu was suddenly unable to use his back legs. After a visit to our regular vets we were told we had two options: one was to spend in excess of £1500 pounds to have an MRI scan to confirm a slipped disc, which would then mean another very expensive operation to correct; or to have him put to sleep.
We were devastated to say the least. But after being referred to Prince Bishops Vets Alfie is still with us.
The staff were wonderful and very freindly and we are forever in their debt for saving the life of our much loved little dog.
He's our little Christmas Miracle.
Thank you Prince Bishops.
Reviewed by: Gilly on 12/12/2015
Lotty is our 5 year old King Charles Cavalier Spaniel. In November she became very ill and desperate for help we took her to Prince Bishops at Leadgate. We will be forever grateful that we did. The dedication and care shown by all staff could not be surpassed, and the love that all of the team showed her was truly touching. Lotty was an inpatient for over a week and during that time we were kept fully up to date on her treatment and condition receiving morning and evening calls.
As I write this, she is at home, curled up fast asleep next to our other dog Lily, loudly snoring .. the best Christmas present ever. All down to the dedication and love of a brilliant team.
Reviewed by: joan on 25/09/2015
Reviewed by: Mary T on 15/08/2015
Once again to the rescue. My pup Liah had managed to open my handbag, removed a bottle of tablets, chewed the top off and had the bottle of tablets in her mouth when I found her. I removed them but then she chewed and swallowed...yes my fault, I know. A quick call to the vets and a race up to the hospital, vets reacted and dealt very quickly. Thankfully Liah is fine. I need to carry meds with me so now my handbag will be kept up and out of reach! I have 3 dogs, bichon frises, I've used this practice for many years and will always do so. My dogs deserve the best....
Reviewed by: Tia on 21/11/2014
Reviewed by: Anne on 14/09/2012
Carlos (my daughter's Shar Pei) was taken ill one night whilst I was looking after him, I wasn't too worried but decided to ring the vet anyway. On examination she said it could be bloat (or GDV) which can be potentially fatal. He didn't seem too bad at the time but things rapidly went downhill and he needed emergency surgery as an xray showed his stomach was twisted.
Prince Bishop's were wonderful even calling in a vet who was actually on holiday to perform the surgery. Thankfully Carlos survived the surgery but it was still touch and go for a while.
He's now fully recovered and I'll be eternally grateful to the vet's at Prince Bishop's for saving his life. If they hadn't acted so quickly he wouldn't have survived.
Reviewed by: kevin on 14/09/2012
hello, i was at prince bishops last week with a poorly one week old shih tzu pup, the vet explained that she thought the pup had colic through taking in air while suckling from her mum,. she gave me some good advice on what to do to keep her bowles open & some medicine to get rid of the gasses inside her abdomen, i beleive without the vets help, the puppy would not be here today, although the vets bill had to be paid, it was nothing to the price of losing a pedigree pup, the pup is now a thriving 2 week old& seems no worse for her colic. thank you prince bishops vets